Capital Projects, Sr Project Engineer - Columbus Ohio
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.Nourish the world and your
career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.Our Nutrition
business develops science-based nutrition products for people of
all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult
bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count
on our leading brands - including Similac--, PediaSure--,
Pedialyte--, Ensure--, Glucerna-- and ZonePerfect-- - to help get
the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life. WHAT YOU'LL
- Develops, plans, coordinates and directs engineering aspects of
projects across multiple locations that are of major scope and
importance. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets
expectations. Makes difficult decisions regarding priorities among
- Understands the business needs and has a thorough knowledge of
the customer when developing a project scope. Incorporates business
foresight of emerging technological trends. Leads development of
Project Charter and documents the requirements that satisfy the
stakeholder's needs and expectations. Establishes engineering
project objectives and technical criteria for evaluating project
results and activities of the project team.
- Uses established PM tools and techniques (FEP, Cash Flow
Projections, Scope / Schedule Control, etc.) to stay within
authorized budget limits and achieve the overall project and
- Develops project plan documenting the actions necessary to
define, prepare, integrate and coordinate all subsidiary plans.
Supports development of project strategy to align and achieve key
customer business objectives. Contributes to the development of
long-term business and organizational strategies.
- Directs and manages Project Execution by performing the work
defined in the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- Closes the project by finalizing all activities across all the
Project Management Process Groups to formally complete the project
- Defines roles and responsibilities. Directs efforts of internal
and external resources.
- Monitors and controls project work to meet the performance
objectives defined in the project plan. Focuses on cost and
milestone achievement to optimize resource utilization.
- Reviews change requests, manages and approves changes to the
deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and
the project plan.
- Coordinates with corporate or divisional purchasing for
procurement of equipment and / or services and contracting.
Effectively leverages and manages services and suppliers.
- Implements common project management tools and methodologies.
Contributes to the development of project management best
- Anticipates and identifies areas of risk and mitigates risks
through early risk assessments and implementation of fallback /
- A Subject Matter Expert in project engineering. Participates on
internal, cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures
and standards. Participates on group or divisional task
- Performs tasks, such as writing Requests for Capital
Expenditures (RCEs), safety / quality checklists, scope documents,
- Anticipates and resolves problems and crisis situations
requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by
utilizing technical training and / or experience.
- Assists in the development and execution of validation
- Participates in professional affiliations.Technical Design:
- Directs others in the execution of: the design of products /
processes / equipment / systems / facilities by applying
engineering methods, concepts and techniques.
- Ensures the project design complies with all engineering
standards, project objectives and customer needs.
- Benchmarks with other divisions.
- Works with customer on project approach / design to optimize
asset value.Problem Solving /Innovation
- Conceptualizes complete solutions. Creates or coordinates the
solutions for complex problems; integrates regulatory and
operational needs; reviews constructability strategy; performs cost
/ benefit analysis.
- Explores multiple alternatives. Leads cross functional teams in
resolving major project hurdles. Organizational Interface ---
Mentors others by sharing knowledge and expertise and providing
feedback and guidance.
- Anticipates, identifies and implements ways to increase
customer satisfaction. Establishes relationships and good
communication channels with customers; documents agreements and
- Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively
through formal and informal documents with team members, designers,
technicians, and other personnel, both internal and external to
Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols. Exhibits
advanced ability to apply concepts of careful communication.
- Establishes networks. Contributes willingly and incorporates
the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge and accountability
to benefit the objectives of the business.
- Builds relationships. Initiates and cultivates open, honest
relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors
by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others'
needs, promoting common goals, and following through on
- Acts as a trusted advisor. Balances bottom line objectives of a
project with the long-term interest of customer. Compliance ---
Complies with all regulations and standards for quality,
Environmental, Health, Safety, and Energy (EHS&E) Global
Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks and key
project results through sound design and project management
- Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and
failure modes) of design changes. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related
discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus
- 10+ years of significant engineering and / or operational
experience. A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may
contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- A career history marked by a consistent series of contributions
and accomplishments. Proven track record of managing projects to
completion, using extensive external resources.
- Demonstrated excellence in breadth and depth of knowledge
within project management.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and
maintains strong working relationships with internal and external
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and
articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective
orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile
- A technical background in health care, nutritional products,
laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar
- Demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal
control. Project accounting experience.
- Understanding and management of procurement & contracting
- Travel 25% (mostly domestic to our 7 Plants in the US) WHAT WE
OFFER At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
communitiesLearn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: Follow your career aspirations to
Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the
growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with
us at , on Facebook at and on
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Columbus , Capital Projects, Sr Project Engineer - Columbus Ohio, Engineering , Columbus, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!