Principal Equipment Engineer - Core Technology - Columbus, OH
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.Nourish the world and your
career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.Our Nutrition
business develops science-based nutrition products for people of
all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult
bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count
on our leading brands - including Similac--, PediaSure--,
Pedialyte--, Ensure--, Glucerna-- and ZonePerfect-- - to help get
the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life. WHAT YOU'LL
- Lead on Front End Planning (FEP) Gate activities for the
filling and packaging equipment scope larger programs in the global
Abbott Nutrition network (Americas, Europe, Asia) - determining
provisional scope, manufacturability, cost, capital, risk and
schedule considerations and work with cross-functional teams for
- Support relevant capital FEP programs leading packaging
equipment design activities/deliverables through the FEP process
working closely with Regional Engineering, Abbott Nutrition Supply
Chain (ANSC) stakeholders and external equipment and A&E
- Evaluate, design and conduct testing to evaluate new
technologies, processing equipment changes as part of the technical
roadmap for technology.
- Key contributor to/perform equipment vendor selection and
- Provide input to user requirements, design specifications,
process parameters, FMEA assessments, and validation
- Provide technical support to Abbott Nutrition global production
network including existing system issues as well as design
improvements/new designs as part of continuous improvement.
- Support development of/develop educational content and key
contributor to standards creation and updates pertaining to
packaging equipment line design and packaging equipment
- Provide leadership/support to the Packaging Equipment Community
of Practice (CoP), working with plant teams to identify gaps, drive
OEE and improvements, and implement replications.
- Interface frequently and effectively with program leadership
and key stakeholders.
- Partner with Quality Assurance (QA) to develop and implement
technologies that ensure compliance and improve food safety on
existing as well as new systems.
- Provide effective communication through verbal and written
reports as a technical influencer to Sr. Leadership for business
- Support multiple, often concurrent, projects and meet assigned
- 30-50% travel is expected as part of the roleOTHER GENERAL
- Investigates/recommends novel technology and applications;
develops, evaluates, implements strategic initiatives, leads
projects/programs and technical team to develop significant new
products or processes. Benchmarks internally and externally.
- Develops business/financial justification with data based
decision making, ability to implement large cost reduction
- Develops and applies advanced theories, methods, and technical
judgement to the investigation and solution of complex technical
- Develops processes that lead to shortened cycle time; makes
major impact decisions.
- As a technical specialist, is assigned problems which require
unique design/research approaches to problems as well as is
routinely called on to troubleshoot engineering problems critical
to the Division or Corporation.ORGANIZATION INTERFACE
- Mentors others and is willing to share information and accept
candid feedback and guidance.
- Interfaces frequently with inter-organizational and outside
customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing
solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific
- Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively
through formal and informal documents with team members, designers,
technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and
external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols;
obtains approval to proceed with proposed action plans.
- Establishes networks. Follows through on goals; contributes
willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources,
knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the
- Builds relationships. Initiates and cultivates open, honest
relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors
by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others'
needs, promoting common goals, and following through on
commitments, e.g. offers assistance; interacts effectively with
stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organizationEDUCATION AND
EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRINGRequired
- Preferred 10+ years of relevant experience.
- B.S. in Engineering required
- A technical background in high speed manufacturing filling and
secondary packaging equipment (food, nutraceuticals, health care,
pharmaceutical, or similar industries)
- Experience in large capital/expansion programs with direct
- Familiarity with plant control software, including PLC and
SCADA/Delta V systems. Familiarity with 2D and 3D CAD.
- Disciplined and adaptable to work on a variety of projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work on cross
functional teams is critical.
- Ability to effectively analyze and summarize process and
product information (using statistical methods) to determine
solutions to production and quality issues. This would include OSI
PI data historical trending, ZPI, and other data gathering/analysis
- Familiarity with infant formula and food regulations,
HACCP/FMEA and GMP standards for quality desired.
- The group supports the supply chain globally, so US domestic
and potentially international travel is anticipated.WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
communitiesLearn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: Follow your career aspirations to
Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the
growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with
us at , on Facebook at and on
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Columbus , Principal Equipment Engineer - Core Technology - Columbus, OH, Engineering , Columbus, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!