Company: OWENS CORNING
Posted on: September 24, 2022
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Mechanical Projects Engineer plays a key role in partnership
with Insulation manufacturing plants and other key business
stakeholders in leading mechanical engineering aspects for medium
to large projects in the Insulation business. The position will
lead mechanical design and implementation utilizing a team of
external engineering resources and serve as the primary
communication link to business partners and manufacturing plants on
progress of work.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece
of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a
market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500 . Owens
Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our
three business segments while striving to ensure our people and
products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an
inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A
holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization
as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully
recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and
safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make
an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all
levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride
within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading
businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Leader
Span of Control: Projects may be in any Insulation manufacturing
plant in the Americas. Work of this role impacts key operational
results at all these facilities.
Provides design leadership and management of design resources on
mechanical improvements to improve product quality, equipment
uptime, and line utilization throughout the Insulation division.
- Adhere to SAFE and Critical 6 requirements when implementing
- Adhere to all plant and position-specific safety policies,
procedures, and standards.
- Lead mechanical design aspects of multiple projects
simultaneously by networking with internal and external engineering
firms. Activity to include directing scope definition and cost
estimates, defining control strategies, directing programming
resources, and coordinating mechanical resources for commissioning
- Monitor projects for compliance to applicable codes and
accepted engineering practices.
- Utilize effective project management techniques, such as the
SAP project module, to lead projects.
- Ensure all projects are delivered consistent with scope and
expectations around operability and cost.
Provides project management to capital projects to ensure on-time
and on-budget completion. (30%)
- Oversee contract requirements and ensure contractor work is
being performed in proper manner.
- Achieve zero injuries in capital projects by ensuring safety
through design and in construction and start-up.
- Apply sound engineering practices towards the completion of
- Manage capital projects from start to finish--write capital
approval requests, ensure the requested funding is consistent with
all project requirements, execute for on-time, on-budget
- Ensure timing from inception through start-up and commissioning
is met in all cases.
- Ensure compliance with Early Management business processes in
completion of project deliverables.
Provides consultation services as the division's subject matter
expert on all production equipment mechanical systems. (10%)
- Assists plant personnel in troubleshooting of mechanical
systems in-person and/or remotely.
- Serves as the expert in the division's technical
- Provide technical and process support to the division's
customers as required.
- Provide subject matter expertise to business for high level
project scope validation.
Coaches, trains, mentors, and provides leadership to maintenance
technicians and supervisors for mechanical design and operation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related
- 5 years of experience in engineering design, project
management, managing projects small to large ($1MM+).
- Ability to travel 30-75%. Work may include weekends or holidays
to minimize production downtimes.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE :
- Background in continuous manufacturing preferred.
- Experience in 3D design environments and engineering
- Background in modular equipment design.
- Familiarity with parametric design including fully parametric
- Leadership experience in a matrix environment.
- Leading in union and non-union environments.
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt, and Lean
- Implementing strategic plans.
- Exposure to TPM methodologies. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES :
- Knowledge and experience in project management including
writing scope and cost estimates, contractor bid packages,
evaluating vendor proposals, and preparing Capital Appropriation
Requests for approval.
- Strong project leadership skills and able to manage projects
through to completion.
- Ability to lead change through influence and without having
direct line leadership of the team.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Strong ability to communicate strategy to all levels of the
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills to quickly
assess situations, develop appropriate solutions, and manage
- Able to utilize data and data collection systems for
problem-solving and decision-making to eliminate manufacturing
losses and unnecessary costs.
- General knowledge of Root Cause Failure Analysis or equivalent
- Strong planning, resourcing, and delegation skills. About Owens
Owens Corning is a global building and construction materials
leader committed to building a sustainable future through material
innovation. Our three integrated businesses - Composites,
Insulation, and Roofing - provide durable, sustainable,
energy-efficient solutions that leverage our unique material
science, manufacturing, and market knowledge to help our customers
win and grow. We are global in scope, human in scale with
approximately 20,000 employees in 33 countries dedicated to
generating value for our customers and shareholders, and making a
difference in the communities where we work and live. Founded in
1938 and based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, Owens Corning posted 2021
sales of $8.5 billion. For more information, visit .
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: OWENS CORNING, Columbus , Engineering Lead, Engineering , Somerset, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!