Houseparents, FT, K-12 - Relocate to Hershey, PA
Company: Milton Hershey School
Posted on: February 17, 2020
Would you like to positively impact the lives of youth? Do you
enjoy working with students from lower-income settings? Is working
with your spouse a positive for you? Would you enjoy managing a
large home and creating memorable experiences & traditions for
students in your care? Consider Houseparenting at the Milton
Hershey School in Hershey, PA - the sweetest place on earth!---
Milton Hershey School (MHS) Houseparents are married couples whom
live in student homes on campus with 8 to 12 students whom they
supervise. Houseparents are care-givers and role models for the
students - living with them in campus homes and overseeing their
daily lives. Houseparents are in high gear in the morning when the
students begin their day early with devotions and a healthy
breakfast before going to school appropriately dressed, on-time,
and ready to learn. While the students are in school, Houseparents
have their personal time before going on duty again when the
students return from school. Afternoons and evenings are busy with
extra-curricular activities, dinner time, chores, homework, and
timely bed-time. Weekends provide opportunity for student home
activities and required Sunday chapel attendance.
Houseparents ensure students' well-being from a physical, social,
emotional, and spiritual development standpoint. They collaborate
extensively with other MHS staff including faculty, health services
and others. Houseparents also build relationships with and maintain
communication with students' families or sponsors.
Houseparents have administrative responsibilities including the
oversight of the student home, student home budget, scheduling
coordination, record-keeping and more. Houseparents participate in
regular meetings and trainings to ensure they have the information
required for the role. When initially hired, Houseparents work as a
"flex" in which they work in a variety of homes until placed in an
assigned home or quad of homes.
This is a year round salaried position. Houseparents work 12 days
on & 3 days off. Private apartments are provided. Houseparent
couples are permitted to have up to two of their own children
residing with them.
Minimum starting salary per married couple is $72,454.00 with an
excellent benefits package including 3 weeks of paid summer
vacation. Housing, utilities & meals are provided by nature of the
job. Paid training and relocation assistance are provided. Best of
all, there's the opportunity to make a significant positive impact
in the lives of the students in your care!
For more details about this position, view the link " careers as a
houseparent " on the employment page.
- Couples must be legally married, preferably for at least 3
- Age 27 or over is preferred for both spouses.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required as a
- Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of integrity, as
all MHS staff are considered to be role models for MHS
- Demonstrated successful experience (paid or volunteer) working
with children from socially and economically disadvantaged
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with children, youth &
- Organizational & budgeting skills.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft, Internet, database
- Demonstrated success in a dynamic work environment.
Multi-tasking capabilities are essential.
- Must be effective in working with students from PreK through
12th grade - boys and girls
- Capable of effectively handling emergencies including medical
- Each spouse must have a valid driver's license in good standing
& willingness to learn to drive a 10-passenger van.
- No more than two dependent children in residence.
- There are limitations to pets.
- Effective communication and language skills necessary.
- Please note the selection/hiring process is extensive including
on-line application & assessment, phone screens, on-campus
interview, reference checks, in-depth background checks & medical
clearances, which includes a 50 lbs. lift test.
- U.S. Work Authorization required.
Keywords: Milton Hershey School, Columbus , Houseparents, FT, K-12 - Relocate to Hershey, PA, Other , Columbus, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!