Research Communication Assoc.
Company: The Ohio State University
Posted on: June 25, 2022
The Ohio Policy Evaluation Network (OPEN) is a research
collaborative of scholars from the Ohio State University,
University of Cincinnati, and Case Western Reserve University that
conducts rigorous, impactful, and forward-thinking social-science
research on the reproductive health of Ohioans, Kentuckians, and
West Virginians. Our interdisciplinary research projects assess
reproductive health outcomes, equity, access, cost, and autonomy in
the context of federal and state laws and policies. OPEN is
committed to the scholarly pursuit of new knowledge to support
reproductive justice, health, and equity.OPEN recognizes the
strength that results from a diverse team. We especially welcome
applications for the Senior Research Communications Associate
position from people who are members of communities that are
underrepresented in academia. OPEN does not discriminate on the
basis of sex, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity,
disability, or religion. Applicants may articulate in their cover
letter which identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
they will bring to the team.OPEN's impact relies on strategic and
innovative methods of dissemination and clear, timely, targeted
communication to our multiple overlapping stakeholders, including
healthcare providers, advocacy organizations, policymakers,
scholars, journalists, and patients. The Senior Research
Communications Associate is a key member of the Communications Core
and works collaboratively with the core to lead these efforts by
translating research findings, creating accessible products,
identifying and securing media opportunities, and sharing our
research with target audiences. The Senior Research Communications
Associate reports to the OPEN Principal Investigator at Ohio State
University, in close collaboration with the OPEN Principal
Investigator at University of Cincinnati.
Minimum Education Required
Bachelor's Level Degree or equivalent combination of education and
- Commitment to reproductive justice, health, and equity.
- Master's degree with 3 years of related work experience or
bachelor's degree with 5 years of related work experience.
- Involvement in or collaboration with research, producing
technical writing about research, and communicating about
- Ability to digest and summarize complex and technical research
for a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency with Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere
Rush), Canva, Microsoft Office, and WordPress.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Excellent skills in organizing and creation of efficient
- Strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with graphic design, or an interest and willingness
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong initiative, resourcefulness, and ability to move
projects forward independently.
- Ability to build and maintain durable relationships with a wide
variety of people, including internal team members and external
- Experience in public health, sociology, or reproductive health
- Familiarity with the reproductive health policy landscape in
Ohio and surrounding states.
- Desire to advance public health knowledge in the region.50%
- Design accessible, clear, and attractive research and policy
products for target audiences using Adobe Suite and Canva. Products
may include infographics, recruitment flyers, briefs, reports,
newsletters, videos, and one-page fact sheets.
- Manage OPEN's social media presence, including creating
content, maintaining an opportunity calendar, soliciting content
from OPEN team members, and tracking analytics to assess
- Manage the OPEN website, including keeping it updated, liaising
with website developers, and tracking website usage and
- Keep the OPEN team, university government relations and
communications counterparts, and external audiences apprised of
OPEN research developments, including newly published articles,
media engagements, upcoming events, and products.
- Pursue opportunities to give interested party testimony on
proposed legislation and support OPEN researchers in the
preparation and delivery of testimony.20% Strategic Planning:
- Along with the Communications Core co-directors, conduct
strategic planning for OPEN's communications to respond to rapidly
developing policy changes and the needs of external stakeholders
and OPEN team members.20% Media Engagement:
- Develop relationships with local, state, and national media
outlets (print, online, podcasts, radio, TV, etc.) and maintain a
database of media contacts.
- Strategize and proactively pursue media opportunities for OPEN
researchers to speak about research findings and current
- Identify opportunities for OPEN researchers to publish opinion
editorials; help write and edit opinion editorial drafts and pitch
to media outlets.
- Liaise with university communications to draft press releases
and pitch stories.
- Provide training and support to OPEN team members in
preparation for media engagements, including preparing and
reviewing messaging, sharing relevant resources, and facilitating
practice interviews.10% Process Management:
- Lead OPEN's Crisis Communications Team, including facilitating
annual meetings, maintaining the Crisis Communications Plan, and
managing communications responses.
- Ensure communications products and resources are available and
accessible to all OPEN team members.
- Oversee OPEN's process for tracking the status of publications,
manuscripts, and conference presentations.Compensation range:
$42,000-70,000*Uploaded copy of resume and cover letter
REQUIRED.*Regular 40 First Shift
Keywords: The Ohio State University, Columbus , Research Communication Assoc., Other , Columbus, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!