Innovation Team Lead
Company: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
Posted on: May 19, 2019
We are seeking Innovation Team Leads to join our team our team in
Are you an innovator? Are you passionate about innovations? Are you
excited to uncover the next big thing? Are you just as excited when
an idea fails? If so, we want you to join the group.
You will lead a multidisciplinary innovation \"pod\" or team
designed to create, design, prototype, and launch products,
services, experiences, and even businesses that disrupt the
insurance and financial services industry. You will lead the pod
and business partners throughout the innovation process from
exploration to conceptual design; to detailed design, to develop
and build, then launch.
The Innovation Team Leads engages directly with users, and works to
uncover key unmet needs and develops solutions to meet these needs,
solving for big customer problems. Brings these \"member centric\"
solutions to market often in partnership with teams throughout the
Ensures that the innovation lies at the intersection of the
Customer (\"desirability\"), Technology (\"feasibility\"), and the
Business (\"viability\"). Collaborates with the designer and
researcher to assess desirability. Partners with technologists to
assess feasibility; and works with business lead to look at
viability. Brings all pieces together into the right solution for
the right needs.
As an innovation thought-leader. Challenges current thinking and
practices and creates customer and business value in ways unlikely
to emerge from the existing enterprise.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Core leader of the pod, where collaboration with product
managers, designers, researchers, technologists, and
business/finance leads to the best outcome
- Provides project management and team leadership for the
innovation pod, managing a multi-disciplinary team with skillsets
across all aspects of the value chain and innovation process
- Enthusiastically champions the work of the team even when
pivoting is needed, understanding that failure is part of the
innovation process. Institutionalizes learning from productive
- Utilizes and encourages a startup or entrepreneurial mind
- Collaborates seamlessly and successfully throughout the
organization with support areas such marketing, sales, public
relations, legal and compliance, as well as other groups
- Builds a high performance, highly engaged team
- Effectively prioritizes across the spectrum of work and
decisions Design Thinking
- Leads and facilitates the user-driven innovation process (aka
\"design thinking\") with cross functional team members
- Translates consumer and end-user needs into products, services,
experiences, and businesses that solves needs and creates
- Supports and participates in rapid prototyping of ideas and
solutions directly with consumers and customers, and iterates
aggressively to arrive at solutions that exceed customer
expectations and creates new value and points of
- Understands and represents the voice of the user (\"the who\"),
clearly defines the right problems to solve (\"the what\") and
ensures the right end-to-end solutions to solve them (\"the how\")
- Brings new ideas and thought leadership to Nationwide. Keeps a
pulse on industry movement and activities, and remains on top of
key trends within insurance, financial services, startups and
- Anticipates where relevant companies, trends, and technologies
might be going and informs strategies.
- Raises the collective innovation capability of the team through
coaching, advising and supporting others.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Requirements:
- Undergraduate studies in business, marketing, product or
engineering. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of diverse business experiences with an
emphasis on strategy, innovation and product management, ideally
with new digital products for consumers or businesses (big and/or
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial passion with the ability to
explore business opportunities in a structured, yet iterative way,
with \"lean startup\" design thinking skills / user- centered
design expertise, or similar development approaches.
- Experience managing a high performing team and cultivating a
collaborative environment. Innovation experience, preferably within
a technology, insurance or financial services company, including
new product development, product management, and new product
- Experience working within an innovation group for a larger
company, innovation consulting company or innovative product
- Experience with primary consumer research, time \"in the
field\", market research, and translation of insights uncovered
into ideas, concepts, and products.
- Experience with PowerPoint and presentation creation;
proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong analytical skills and a proven ability to think
strategically about customer needs, market dynamics and business
- Ability to work across multiple methodologies, including agile,
scrum, waterfall, and hybrids. Strong sense of urgency with a focus
on testing fast, learning fast and fail fast. Nationwide, a Fortune
100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and
strongest diversified insurance and financial services
organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and
Standard & Poor's. The company provides a full range of insurance
and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners,
farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement
plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; excess &
surplus, specialty and surety; pet, motorcycle and boat
Keywords: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Columbus , Innovation Team Lead, Other , Columbus, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!